Last UpdateMay 21, 2026, 9:55 PM EDT
Iran said Thursday that no agreement had been reached yet with the U.S. despite narrowing gaps in negotiations over President Donald Trump’s latest peace proposal.
Covered by: Anders Hagstrom and Emma Bussey
WHAT TO KNOW:
- President Donald Trump has halted U.S. military action against Iran as it reviews the latest peace proposal from the U.S. Thursday.
- Vice President JD Vance warned that the U.S. remains “locked and loaded” for further military action should Iran reject the deal.
- A new Fox News poll shows that 60% of American voters oppose further military action in Iran.
- The UAE said Iran’s attempts to control the Strait of Hormuz or infringe on the UAE’s maritime sovereignty were unrealistic.
- Pakistan’s army chief, Asim Munir has been involved in mediation efforts between Iran and the United States, Iranian state media reported.
- No deal had been reached with the U.S. as of Thursday, a senior Iranian source said while claiming gaps had narrowed.
- Former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley warned that Iran is dragging out negotiations because it never intended to strike a deal.
22PostsSort byNewestOldest
Coverage for this event has ended.
13 hours ago
PINNED
No Iran, US deal reached yet, gaps narrow in Trump nuclear negotiations: report

Iran Leaders / AFP / Via Getty Images
No deal had been reached with the U.S. as of Thursday, a senior Iranian source told Reuters, while also claiming gaps had narrowed.
Iran has been reviewing the latest peace proposal from President Donald Trump as he warned that further military action remains on the table.
The outlet also reported Iran’s uranium enrichment and Tehran’s control over the Strait of Hormuz continued to be among the sticking points.
This came as a member of Iran’s Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee told state TV that Tehran could act first to break the ceasefire if it believed a U.S. base was preparing an attack.
Fadahossein Maleki, a member of Iran’s Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, told state TV, “Anything is possible.”
“It could even come from Iran’s side, frankly. If we feel that something is happening from a U.S. base, Iran has the legitimacy to respond and prevent it,” he said, according to Iran International.
Posted by Emma Bussey
10 hours ago
Threats in Strait of Hormuz at ‘critical’ level, traffic reduced, says UK maritime agency
The UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency said Thursday that threats in the Strait of Hormuz and Persian Gulf remained at a “critical” level.
The agency also warned that traffic through the Strait of Hormuz was still being “significantly reduced.”
The agency noted mining risks and interference with satellite navigation systems as ongoing concerns.
UKMTO also said piracy threats in the region remain “severe,” with three merchant vessels still being held after hijackings.
Posted by Emma Bussey
10 hours ago
Mark Levin urges Washington to ‘destroy the Iranian regime’ as talks unresolved
Fox host Mark Levin on Thursday urged Washington to take action against Iran as discussions over the end of the war appeared unresolved.
“It’s time to destroy the Iranian regime,” Levin said in a post shared on X.
“Let’s finish this. Let’s get this done. The clock is ticking,” the Fox host added.
His remarks also came amid reports of narrowing gaps in the ongoing negotiations.
Posted by Emma Bussey
11 hours ago
Nikki Haley blasts Iran nuclear talks as ‘stall tactic,’ says Tehran ‘doesn’t want deal’
Former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley warned Thursday that Iran is dragging out negotiations because it never intended to strike a deal.
“Iran is stalling because it doesn’t want a deal,” Haley said in a post on X.
“It wants a nuclear weapon to threaten Israel, America, and the world.”
Haley’s remarks came after Reuters reported that a senior Iranian source said Iran’s uranium enrichment program and its control of the Strait of Hormuz remained key sticking points in talks with the U.S., adding that no deal had yet been reached.
President Donald Trump has warned of “something very drastic” if Iran does not agree to give up its nuclear weapons program as negotiations continued over ending the war.
Haley had also told Fox News host Martha MacCallum in March that the U.S.-Israel joint military offensive, Operation Epic Fury against Iran, was a “history-defining moment.”
Posted by Emma Bussey
12 hours ago
House Republicans cancel Iran war powers vote
House Republican leaders on Thursday canceled a planned vote on the resolution to limit President Donald Trump’s ability to engage in military action against Iran without congressional approval.
A similar war powers resolution advanced in the Senate on May 19, signalling continued pressure from lawmakers looking for more congressional oversight of U.S. military action in the Iran war.
Posted by Emma Bussey
12 hours ago
Oil prices swing, traders doubt US-Iran talks will yield breakthrough deal: report
Oil prices fluctuated Thursday before rising Friday as traders assessed how long the Strait of Hormuz could remain closed amid the Iran war.
Brent crude had climbed above $109 per barrel before reversing course and settling down 2.3% at $102.58, easing some pressure on Wall Street and bond markets.
U.S. crude futures rose more than $1 in early trading Friday as investors doubted the prospects of a breakthrough in U.S.-Iran peace talks, Reutersreported.
U.S. West Texas Intermediate crude futures climbed as high as $98 a barrel and last traded up $1.20, or 1.3%, at $97.55 as of 2228 GMT.
A senior Iranian source said no deal has been reached with the U.S., but the gaps had narrowed.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been “some good signs” in talks as Pakistan continued to mediate.
Posted by Emma Bussey
14 hours ago
US reportedly used over half its THAAD interceptors defending Israel from Iran

Missile Interceptor / Israel Defense Forces
The U.S. used more than half of its THAAD anti-missile interceptor inventory defending Israel from Iranian attacks during the war, according to reports.
The Washington Post reported the U.S. also used more than 100 SM-3 and SM-6 interceptors, while Israel used fewer than 100 Arrow interceptors and around 90 David’s Sling interceptors.
Citing an official, the outlet reported that if fighting resumes with Iran, the U.S. would likely need to use even more interceptors because the IDF has sent some missile defense batteries for maintenance.
“Israel is not capable of fighting and winning wars on its own, but nobody actually knows this because they never see the back end,” the official said.
The Pentagon denied there was any issue with sharing resources with Israel, saying, “Ballistic missile interceptors are just one tool in a vast network of systems and capabilities.”
The Israeli Embassy in Washington also said, “The U.S. has no other partner with the military willingness, readiness, shared interests and capabilities of Israel.”
Posted by Emma Bussey
14 hours ago
Iran missile production ‘crippled,’ regime scrambling with ‘makeshift’ arsenal: defense expert

Iranian Missile / Iranian Army / WANA / West Asia News Agency / Handout via REUTERS
Iran’s missile production capability has been severely crippled by recent military strikes, a leading defense expert said Thursday, pushing back on reports that Tehran has rebuilt parts of its military infrastructure faster than expected since the ceasefire began.
Draganfly CEO Cameron Chell’s remarks also came as President Donald Trump continued to pause U.S. military action while Iran reviewed Washington’s response to a proposed ceasefire framework.
“I doubt the hypersonic weapons or cruise missiles are being replenished by Iran, and it will not be at any notable speed,” defense expert Chell told Fox News Digital.
“Those are very difficult to build and require sophisticated facilities, most of which would have been already targeted by the United States,” he added.
“Those equipment parts are also much harder to get than other types of equipment.”
While Chell said Iran’s borders are “very porous” and that Iran’s allies are doing everything they can to funnel parts into the country, he said the infrastructure had already been thoroughly destroyed.
“It’s probably more than six months at the very minimum to be able to produce something again,” he said.
“Even then, it would be makeshift and wouldn’t be the precision-type weapons that they’ve had the luxury of building over the last several years in fully equipped facilities that were properly supplied.”
“This would be overt supply and overt manufacturing, all of which would be substandard or subpar,” Chell added.
A report by CNN, citing sources familiar with U.S. intelligence assessments, suggested Iran’s military is reconstituting certain capabilities degraded by U.S.-Israeli strikes much faster than initially estimated.
The report claimed Iran had already restarted some of its weapons production during the six-week ceasefire that began in early April.
“Even just to start to get weapons replenished, it wouldn’t be at scale, and the quality of the equipment wouldn’t match what they had,” Chell clarified.
“I don’t believe those precision missile systems are getting back up into production,” he added.
“Only less sophisticated drones — things like the equivalents of the Shahed 136, the 139, or certainly the Category 1 FPV one-way attributable drones would be able to be replenished and at scale.”
On Thursday, the White House also swiftly dismissed the reports, stating they undermined the “great work of our American troops abroad.”
Pentagon Press Secretary Joel Valdez said in a statement: “It is so disgraceful that CNN and others are acting as public relations agents for the Iranian regime in order to paint Operation Epic Fury as anything other than a historic accomplishment. We have had incredible battlefield successes, and yet the fake news media is still trying to undermine the great work of our American troops abroad.”
Posted by Emma Bussey
15 hours ago
UAE rejects Iran’s Strait of Hormuz claims, accuses Tehran of ‘bullying’

Amirhosein Khorgooi / ISNA via AP
UAE presidential adviser Anwar Gargash said Thursday that Iran’s attempts to control the Strait of Hormuz or infringe on the UAE’s maritime sovereignty were unrealistic.
Gargash also accused Tehran of years of “bullying.”
“We’ve grown accustomed to Iranian bullying over long decades until it became part of the political landscape in the Arabian Gulf, and credibility has been lost between aggressive rhetoric and hollow declarations of friendship,” Gargash said in a post on X.
“And today, after the brutal Iranian aggression, the regime is trying to consecrate a new reality born from a clear military defeat, but attempts to control the Strait of Hormuz or encroach on the UAE’s maritime sovereignty are nothing but fragments of dreams,” he said.
“And whoever wants to coexist with its Arab surroundings must realize that trust is lost, and restoring it is not achieved through slogans, but through responsible language, safeguarding sovereignty, and genuine commitment to the principles of good neighborliness,” Gargash added.
Posted by Emma Bussey
15 hours ago
CENTCOM highlights Marines driving rocket system to Middle East refueling station
U.S. Marines maneuvered a rocket system through the Middle East for refueling operations Thursday, U.S. Central Command announced.
“U.S. Marines drive an M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System to a refueling station in the Middle East,” the command said in a post shared on X.
“These systems, operated by both the U.S. Marine Corps and the Army, are highly mobile,” CENTCOM said.
Posted by Emma Bussey
16 hours ago
Bessent says Hezbollah ‘must be fully disarmed,’ Treasury targets nine linked to terror group
The Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control imposed sanctions on nine individuals Thursday linked to Hezbollah, accusing them of obstructing Lebanon’s peace process.
Those sanctioned include Hezbollah lawmakers Hassan Fadlallah, Ibrahim al-Moussawi and Hussein al-Hajj Hassan, along with Executive Council leader Mohamed Abdel-Mottaleb Fanich.
The U.S. also targeted Iran’s ambassador-designate to Lebanon, Mohammad Reza Sheibani, who was expelled from the country in March, as well as members of Hezbollah ally Amal and two Lebanese military officers.
The U.S. State Department also announced a reward of up to $10 million for information that could disrupt Hezbollah’s financial networks.
“Hizballah is a terrorist organization and must be fully disarmed,” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a post shared on X.
“Treasury will continue to take action against officials who have infiltrated the Lebanese government and are enabling Hizballah to wage its senseless campaign of violence against the Lebanese people and obstruct lasting peace,” Bessent added.
Posted by Emma Bussey
17 hours ago
Pakistan works to get US-Iran peace talks on track: reports

Munir / Inter Services Public Relations via AP
Pakistan’s army chief, Asim Munir, was set travel to Tehran on Thursday as part of mediation efforts between Iran and the United States, Iranian state media reported.
Iran’s ISNA news agency said Munir may travel to Tehran for consultations, according to Reuters.
The text being discussed in Tehran is on the general framework, and some details and confidence-building measures as guarantees, the agency said, Reuters reported.
The development came as Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters ahead of a trip to Sweden that President Donald Trump preferred to do a “good deal.”
“The president’s preference is to do a good deal; that’s his preference. It’s always been his preference. If we can get a good deal done, that would be great,” Rubio said.
Posted by Emma Bussey
17 hours ago
Rubio says any Iranian tolling system in Strait of Hormuz would be ‘illegal’

Marco Rubio / Anna Moneymaker / Getty Images
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Thursday that any Iranian tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz would be considered “illegal.”
Speaking to reporters ahead of a trip to Sweden and India, Rubio said such a system cannot happen.
“We’ve always said a tolling system in the straits would be unacceptable, but we don’t just say that,” Rubio said.
“The world has said that. We have a resolution right now in the United Nations,” he added.
“We’re trying to take it to the Security Council. No one in the world is in favor of a tolling system. It can’t happen. It would be unacceptable. It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that. So it’s a threat to the world if they were trying to do that.
“And it’s completely illegal, by the way,” Rubio added.
Rubio’s remarks came after Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) defined new boundaries in the strait, including expanded authority to supervise and regulate maritime activity.
Iran has severely restricted shipping through the Strait of Hormuz since the war with the United States and Israel began Feb. 28.
According to Windward AI some vessels have already paid as much as $2 million per transit, reportedly settled in Chinese yuan. No official tariff structure has been published, the maritime intelligence firm said.
Posted by Emma Bussey
19 hours ago
CENTCOM releases footage of US Marines boarding Iranian-flagged tanker
U.S. Central Command released footage of U.S. Marines boarding an Iranian-flagged tanker in the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday.
The U.S. has enforced a naval blockade on Iranian ports for weeks at the order of President Donald Trump, diverting nearly 100 vessels.
Posted by Anders Hagstrom
19 hours ago
Jack Keane issues bold Iran warning: This is a ‘lifeline’
General Jack Keane joined Fox News to discuss the potential Iran nuclear deal, stating it would be a ‘lifeline’ to the regime and criticizing its terms.
Keane went on to emphasize the need to weaken Iran’s capabilities and support allies to protect regional infrastructure.
Posted by Anders Hagstrom
19 hours ago
Trump held tense phone call with Israel’s Netanyahu: report
President Donald Trump and Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are ‘locked and loaded’ for potential combat operations, despite a tense diplomatic rift over whether to prioritize Iran’s nuclear program or its regional terror proxies, says Fox News’ Trey Yingst.
Posted by Anders Hagstrom
20 hours ago
Iran reviewing US proposal amid Strait of Hormuz tensions
Iran’s foreign ministry is reviewing a new U.S. peace proposal as Pakistan’s interior minister visits Tehran to push for a deal Thursday.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warns the U.S. while President Donald Trump insists he’s in ‘no hurry’ for a deal.
Posted by Anders Hagstrom
21 hours ago
American ‘jihad’ fueled by ‘risky source’ inside US borders, warns national security expert
After the Justice Department announced charges against an Iraqi militia leader for directing terror attacks inside the U.S., a national security expert warned of a “risky source” contributing to “jihad”-type terrorist activity inside America’s borders.
Iraqi national Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood al-Saadi, a senior member of the Iran-backed Kata’ib Hizballah terror group, is accused of orchestrating nearly 20 terrorist attacks across Europe and plotting attacks on Jewish institutions. Authorities also said al-Saadi publicly threatened President Donald Trump and his family.
In an interview with Fox News Digital, Lora Ries, director of the Heritage Foundation’s Border Security and Immigration Center, said that vetting failures of supposed Iraqi and Afghan allies and an all-too-generous social welfare system have left the United States vulnerable to terrorism.
flock
“When you combine these factors of a prior open border, millions of deportable aliens inside the U.S., common believers for jihad, then that leads to real terror threats inside the U.S.,” she said. “Al-Saadi calls on others to carry out jihad, and, unfortunately, there are many who are willing to do it.”
This is an excerpt from an article by Fox News’ Peter Pinedo.
Posted by Anders Hagstrom
